« back

Happy International Women’s Day!

Filed under In The News, Service Culture

International Women's Day

In honor of International Women’s Day, I’d like to open up this blog post to comments from my readers about women who have impacted their lives.

While I was growing up, my mother consistently let her service heart shine. She hosted amazing parties and events; everyone always felt welcome at our home. To this day she continues to inspire me with her compassion and presence.

What stories can you share about important women in your life?

13 Responses to “Happy International Women’s Day!”
  1. Gary Schneider says:

My wife. We’ve been married for 22 years and everyday she amazes me. Eight years ago she battled breast cancer and won! Her passion for life is contagious.

2. Sarah says:

I had a professor in college who motivated me to do my best even when I was considering dropping out. It was a really hard time in my life but she was awesome. She took time to help me get caught up on my work and made me feel like I was capable of anything. Now, four years later, I’m applying to grad schools in part because of her influence on me. It’s rare to find a mentor like her, and I know how lucky I am.

3. arun says:

My mother also was very inspirational woman. She made me study hard and even though we did not have much she always provided for us. I and my sisters are all studying at university now because of her hard work and love for us.

4. Pat D. says:

I used to work for a company that was run entirely by women. The president of this company was an amazingly driven woman, who had worked for nearly 20 years to get her business up and running in a really difficult market and industry.

She was really stressed out, and I felt bad for her for that, but she always gave excellent service to all our clients (we were a research company). She’d stay up half the night working on internal marketing stuff, then get up early the next morning and work on her personal accounts for her clients.

Unfortunately she passed away last year, but whenever I feel stressed out or busy, I remember how hard Cynthia worked, and I try to keep that in perspective.

5. L.S. says:

You know who inspires me? Mary Oliver, the poet. Everyone’s talking about how hard these women in their lives worked, but you know what? I like it when people can just take it easy too and realize that life is short and we migtht as well live it to the fullest!! This poem by Mary Oliver makes me realize everyday that i should slow down and take time to notice the things around me rather than working working working all the time.

“I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.
    I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
    into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
    how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
    which is what I have been doing all day.
    Tell me, what else should I have done?
    Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?
    Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    with your one wild and precious life?”

6. ziplet says:

My daughter inspires me. She’s only 1.5 but she’s hilarious and so smart. I learn something new from her everyday.

7. Niki Richardson says:

Connie Asher. My first boss and the woman who taught me the meaning of integrity and attention to detail.

8. Susan E. says:

I am amazed by people who make a living doing something off the beaten path. My friend Cynthia got a degree in Art History, but ended up never going home from a vacation in a little ranching community. 20 years later she’s still raising grass-fed beef and irrigating fields with 5 muddy dogs in her wake. That inspires me.

9. Erin L. says:

I admire my Mom because she’s always up to something. She joined the Peace Corps when she turned 50 and has never lived the sedate suburban life ever since.

10. scurry says:

I admire all of my friends who are mothers. Two examples: One is with the Foreign Service and will be raising her family abroad. She’s smart and funny and is sure to help the world be a better place. Another is the mother of three amazing, challenging children. She’s also smart and funny and is trying to make the world a better place by raising such thoughtful citizens.

It’s something that I don’t think that I could be patient or strong enough to do, so their ability to do so amazes me. I love that they’re honest about their struggles and the work they put into raising good people and building a happy home.

11. SalesTrainer says:

As a sales trainer, I am consistently inspired by the leadership I see in some of the women I train. Some of the best salespeople I’ve met are women. Too many to name!

12. Andrew O. says:

My wife is inspiring for the complete selflessness she shows while raising our daughter. She has invested every part of herself in our daughter’s well-being, spending every night sleeping next to her, living in a constant exhausted state. I can’t imagine a better mother for my daughter, and it’s a huge relief to not worry.

13. Kelly Anders says:

My #1 inspiration is a woman I met in law school ten years ago. She was in an accident in her teens and was a quadriplegic. Her goal was to practice disability law, to get cities and municipalities to improve access and services for disabled people. So inspiring to see someone take their passions and put them into practice, in order to benefit their world.